Shrimp, Grits & Greens
By Sadé Meeks, MS, RD
Makes ~4 servings
1 1⁄2 cup low sodium chicken stock
1 1⁄2 cup 2% milk
1 tsp table salt
1 cup Bob’s Red Mill Corn Grits
1⁄2 cup water
1 Tbsp salted butter
Black pepper to taste
1 cup of cheddar cheese (optional)
For Shrimp and Spinach mixture:
2 tsp Smoked Paprika
2 tsp Cajun seasoning
3 Tbsp olive oil
1⁄2 cup diced white onion
3 tsp minced garlic
1/3 cup low sodium chicken stock
2 tsp AP flour
1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
3-4 handfuls of Dole leafy spinach (regular, not baby)
Salt and pepper to taste
Lemon wedge (optional)
1. Bring chicken stock, milk, and 1 tsp salt to a boil in a heavy saucepan over
2. Add in grits.
3. Reduce heat to a low simmer, occasionally stirring, until grits are thickened and
tender, 25 to 30 minutes. *Gradually add water if grits become too thick. You want a
creamy texture that’s easy to stir.
4. When done cooking, add 1 Tbsp salted butter and stir in cheese (optional).
5. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
For Shrimp and Spinach Mixture:
1. In a bowl, season shrimp with smoked paprika, cajun seasoning, and pepper.
2. Add 3 Tbsp of olive oil to the skillet and heat. Add onion, frequently stirring, until
translucent, about 2 minutes. Then add minced garlic, stir until fragrant, about 1
3. Stir in 1/3 cup chicken stock, then flour. Gently whisk together.
4. Add shrimp to skillet. Cook, occasionally stirring, until shrimp is pink and cooked
through, about 4 minutes.
5. Towards the end of cooking, add spinach to the skillet. Cook until wilted.
6. To serve, add grits to a bowl and top with shrimp mixture. Squeeze fresh lemon over.
Photo by: Kristy Del Coro, MS, RDN